When looking to move to Canada, some individuals will be able to move to Canada without requiring a job offer from a Canadian employer. While there are numerous Canadian immigration programs available, a large majority of them do require a job offer to qualify. The following programs do not require a job offer in order to qualify to apply for Canadian permanent residence:

Some individuals who first go to Canada on a temporary residence permit, such as a study permit, may be able to bridge to permanent residence after they have completed their education. To learn more about this option, click here.

Express Entry without a job offer

If you are considering immigrating to Canada through one of the programs that uses the Express Entry system, you need to remember that not everyone who qualifies for Express Entry will be chosen to apply for permanent residence.

The Express Entry system is a points-based system, and only those with a high enough Comprehensive Raking System (CRS) score will be selected to apply for permanent residence. A job offer is not required to enter the Express Entry system but if your Comprehensive Raking System (CRS) score is too low, then you may need to obtain a qualifying job offer to increase your score. Qualifying job offers can add 50 or 200 points to your Comprehensive Raking System (CRS) depending on the level of the position being offered to you. For a job offer to add points to your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score, your employer needs to obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) for you. A job offer on its own will not add any points to your Comprehensive Raking System (CRS) score.

For those looking to apply through Express Entry as a Federal Skilled Tradesperson you need to keep in mind that if you do not have a full-time job offer from a Canadian employer of at least one year in the same trade you are applying under,  you have to possess a Canadian skilled trade certificate or qualification in the same trade that you are applying under.

The Family Class

Certain individuals can be sponsored for Canadian permanent residence by a qualifying family member. For these types of applications, the applicant can immigrate to Canada based on their family connection and a job offer is not required.

Entrepreneur Programs

There are various programs available for those seeking to open a business in Canada; depending on your age, education, work experience, net worth and entrepreneurial history.

There are several provincial programs in place which will allow applicants to apply for Canadian permanent residence based on their entrepreneurial experience. Each program has its own requirements which can include the amount of personal net worth that you require, years of experience and liquid funds available to invest to open a business in Canada.

These programs do not require a job offer from a Canadian employer, as you will be entering Canada to open your own business.

What’s Next?

Take our free assessment

Complete our free assessment here to have our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant evaluate whether you would be eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time.... more

Book a full consultation

To review your eligibility and all of your available Canadian immigration options directly with our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, book a full consultation right now.... more