Federal Skilled Trades Program

Do you qualify?

In order to qualify to apply to the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you need to meet all of the following criteria:


You have at least two years of continuous full time (or an equal amount in part-time) paid work experience in a skilled trade in the five years preceding the date of your application.


You have a full-time job offer from a Canadian employer of at least one year in the same trade you are applying under OR you possess a Canadian skilled trade certificate or qualification in that same trade.


You meet the job requirements of the trade you are applying under as set out in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) code.


You have achieved a minimum of a CLB 5 in the speaking and listening sections of an approved language test and a CLB 4 in the reading and writing sections of an approved language test.


You have the required amount of settlement funds for your family size. (see breakdown below)


You plan to live outside of the Province of Quebec.

More about the Federal Skilled Trades Program

Canada welcomes people of all skill levels under their various immigration programs yearly in order to ensure that all gaps in the Canadian workforce are filled by qualified foreign nationals. The Federal Skilled Trade Program gives those who have the necessary skills and experience in certain trade occupations the opportunity to immigrate to Canada. Unlike the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades program is more restrictive in who can apply. The program is open to those in Canada or outside of Canada, but the main difference is that the Federal Skilled Trades Program requires the applicant to have either a Canadian Trades Certificate OR a valid job offer from a Canadian employer. Trade certificates issued by a country other than Canada cannot be used when applying for this program.

Settlement Funds

You will be required to prove that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you arrive in Canada unless you are already working in Canada on a valid work permit. This money cannot be borrowed and must be available at the time of application. This money cannot be used for the immigration process and must remain available up until the day you arrive in Canada.

Number of Family Members (Including Principle Applicant)
Required Amount of Funds
$ 13,757
$ 17,127
$ 21,055
$ 25,564
$ 28,994
$ 32,700
$ 36,407
For each additional family member

Proof of funds

How do you show proof of funds for those applying as a Federal Skilled Worker or Federal Skilled Tradespeople through the Express Entry system.

Qualifying skilled trades

The skilled trades which are eligible under the Federal Skilled Trades program are as follows:

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production,
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators,
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers

Step-by-step instructions on how to apply as a Federal Skilled Tradesperson

The simplified process of applying to immigrate to Canada as a Federal Skilled Tradesperson is outlined below. If your application is approved, you are then granted Permanent Resident status in Canada. After living in Canada for three years within a five-year period as a Permanent Resident, you may qualify to apply for Canadian Citizenship.


Find out if qualify


Obtain a valid job offer OR Canadian trade qualification


Write an approved language test


Have your education assessed by a designated organization, if applicable


Increase your Comprehensive Ranking System score, if required


Wait to receive an Invitation to Apply


Submit your application for permanent residency within 60 days of receiving an Invitation to Apply


Wait for your application to be assessed and approved within an average of six months


Obtain your immigrant visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residency document (COPR) and immigrate to Canada!

How to obtain a Canadian trade qualification

Please remember that only Canadian trade certificates and qualifications can be accepted under this program and foreign trades certificates are not eligible under this program. Those with a foreign trade certificate can look into obtaining a Canadian trade certificate in order to be eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Trades program if they cannot find an eligible job offer. This would require physically going to Canada to challenge a Canadian trades test.

What's Next?

Take our free assessment

Complete our free assessment here to have our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant evaluate whether you would be eligible to immigrate to Canada at this time.... more

Book a full consultation

To review your eligibility and all of your available Canadian immigration options directly with our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, book a full consultation right now.... more